Thursday, August 27, 2015

Server Time Vs. Local Time

I had this problem that my web applications were hosted in a server abroad. This meant  time zone difference.  I needed to save the data with an absolute value and when displaying it, I display it according to client preferences.

To do this I saved the DateTime value in UTC standard  (Coordinated Universal Time). More about it here
As in the following code in C#  :

                                DateTime timeUtc = System.DateTime.UtcNow;
        
When retrieving data, i converted the DateTime value into the desired TimeZone as follows: 


TimeZoneInfo cstZone = TimeZoneInfo.FindSystemTimeZoneById("India Standard Time");
        DateTime cstTime = TimeZoneInfo.ConvertTimeFromUtc(timeUtc, cstZone);



Thanks,
Nerdy Geeky J!

No comments:

Post a Comment